I wrote my doctoral dissertation under Manjul Bhargava at Princeton University on a way of generalizing certain aspects of Galois theory to non-separable ring extensions, and then spent three years as a postdoc at the Leiden University in the Netherlands. My current research focuses on discriminant algebras (ways of converting arbitrary rank-n algebras into rank-2 algebras) and the operadic structure of gluing together small networks into bigger networks.
Here’s a timeline of the highlights of my mathematical activity since my PhD:
(Last updated February 2019.)
- Feb. 2019: Seminar “A Fine Moduli Space of Enriched Structures” (pdf) for the University of South Carolina algebraic geometry seminar.
- Nov. 2018: Seminar “G-closures and discriminant algebras” for the University of Waterloo number theory seminar.
- May 2018: “A principle for converting Lindström-type lemmas to Stembridge-type theorems, with applications to walks, groves, and alternating flows” (arxiv) submitted for publication.
- May 2018: “Isomorphisms of Discriminant Algebras” (arxiv) with Alberto Gioia, updated and submitted for publication.
- Dec. 2017: “Néron Models and the Height Jump Divisor” (arxiv) with David Holmes and Robin de Jong, published in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society.
- July 2017: “Projective modules of locally constant finite rank are finitely generated” (pdf), a letter to Hendrik Lenstra.
- July 2017: “Galois closure data for extensions of rings” (arxiv) published in Transformation Groups.
- Mar. 2017: Seminar “Paths that never cross” for Carleton College.
- Dec. 2016: Seminar “A new discriminant algebra construction” for the University of Minnesota’s algebraic geometry seminar.
- Dec. 2016: “Fine compactified moduli of enriched structures on stable curves” (arxiv) with David Holmes, updated and submitted for publication.
- Dec. 2016: Seminar “The tropical Grassmannian” for the University of Minnesota’s algebraic geometry reading group.
- Nov. 2016: Seminar “The boundary complex of ” (ditto).
- Oct. 2016: Seminar “Introduction to Tropicalization” (ditto).
- Sep. 2016: “A new discriminant algebra construction” (pdf) with Alberto Gioia, published in Documenta Mathematica.
- June 2016: “Non-existence of a functorial resolvent cubic algebra” (pdf), a letter to Manjul Bhargava.
- Mar. 2016: Seminar “What’s inside the black box?” for Carleton College.
- Jan. 2016: Attended the AMS joint mathematics meetings in Seattle.
- Jul. 2015: Attended the AMS summer research institute on algebraic geometry in Salt Lake City.
- Apr. 2015: “Uniqueness of discriminant algebras in ranks ≤ 3” (pdf), a letter to Alberto Gioia.
- Aug. 2014: Article “The Gibbs Phenomenon: Why JPEGs Look Yucky” (pdf) for Leiden University’s Eureka! Magazine.
- May 2014: Seminar “Solvability by Radicals and Solvable Galois Groups” (pdf) for the University of Vienna’s algebraic geometry seminar.
- Mar. 2014: Seminar “A New Definition of Discriminant Algebra” (pdf) for Leiden University’s algebra, geometry, and number theory seminar.
- June 2013: “Galois Closures for Rings” (pdf), PhD Thesis with Manjul Bhargava
Some undergraduate work on resistor networks with L. Peter Mannisto: